Thursday, August 03, 2006

A Comparison of the Two Ears

Someone recently emailed me a good suggestion: show both ears for comparison sake. Our good digital camera stopped working last night (Brian hopefully fixed it at least temporarily), so these were taken with our ancient dinosaur of a camera (it's so huge, LOL). So please excuse the quality. Also, these were taken on the fly outside and I can see sunscreen on the ears. I promise our boys aren't always so grungy, LOL! (Well, they are more often then I'd like...but they are 2 and 4 year old boys).

The scars on the medpor ear really show up in this pic. As I said in my last post, Dr. R. said they will fade with time and the color will even out. I'm not sure you can really see the size difference, since the pictures aren't from the same distance, but the medpor one is larger to account for growth of the other ear. The ears certainly don't look exactly alike, but I think the new one looks pretty darn good.

You can also see the scar on the back of the left ear, where the skin graft was taken. It's still a little scabby. And there are at least 2 stitches in the medpor ear that haven't dissolved yet.

Left ear (no microtia):

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Right ear (medpor reconstruction):

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 comment:

McKay68 said...

I am still just amaaaaazed at how wonderful this looks - I am thrilled for you and so happy that modern science is at a point where they have this level of artistry. Just glancing at the reconstructed ear now, I think it's hard to notice that it's not a regular ear, unless you know what you're looking at. This is so cool. xo K