Friday, November 18, 2005

Pics of ear 20 days post-op

Below are some pictures of Miles' ear without the cup. It is very swollen, but actually looks better than I had expected. I think I had really prepared myself for the absolute worst.

Last night was quite an ordeal. That cup was really stuck to his head, but we really needed to clean that ear. It had been way too long. The nurse said, "Oh, it's easy: just use a q-tip and finger nail polish remover (acetone)." Ummmm....I definitely would not say it was easy. He kicked and screamed and just totally freaked out. One of us had to hold him down, while the other worked with the q-tip to loosen the adhesive. And no wonder he was so upset, it still removed a lot of his hair. Poor little guy. It was truly traumatic for all of us. I really don't like to hurt my little boy, and it just really broke my heart.

For the new cup, we only took half of the strip off of the tape, so most of the part of the cup on his hair does not have any adhesive. Hopefully the next removal will be a little easier. Also, someone on the microtia board recommended trying baby oil, so I'm going to try that next time. I'm already dreading it!

After we got the cup off, he was very sensitive about having his ear exposed. He insisted that it be covered at all times. We finally convinced him to let us clean it up a bit and wash his hair. I didn't do as good of a job as I would have liked to, but it's definitely better than it was.

So here are the pics. It's a little graphic again. I emailed them to Dr. R. and am hoping he responds saying that the ear looks like it should at this point.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 comments:

Christina said...

that's amazing. It looks so "normal" just a little banged up, you know.
I'm glad he's healing so nicely.

Bad Amy said...

Hurray for Miles! We found you from the great Christmas letter we just received from your Mum and Dad. Happy Christmas to all of you! Luv, Amy & Lance